Facebook provides several dynamic tools to enhance user interaction, one of which is tagging. The tagging feature is crucial for engaging with friends, promoting businesses, or even for sharing moments.
This comprehensive guide will walk you through how to tag someone on Facebook in a new post, after posting, in a story, adjusting tagging settings, and understanding who sees it when you tag someone.
How to Tag Someone on Facebook
Tagging someone on Facebook is a straightforward process. Whether you’re creating a new post or adding a comment, here’s how you can do it:
- Start Writing a Post or Comment: In the ‘What’s on your mind?’ section, begin typing your message.
- Insert the ‘@’ Symbol: Where you want to mention someone, type ‘@’ followed by the person’s name.
- Choose from the Drop-Down List: Facebook will suggest matches from your friend list. Select the correct person you want to tag.
- Complete Your Post: Finish writing your message and hit ‘Post.’
When tagged, your friend will get a notification and your post will appear on their timeline, depending on their privacy settings.
How to Tag Someone on Facebook After Posting
If you’ve already published a post and want to tag someone, follow these steps:
- Find Your Post: Go to your timeline and locate the post.
- Choose ‘Edit Post’: Click on the three dots in the top right corner of the post and select ‘Edit Post.’
- Tag Your Friend: Add ‘@‘ followed by your friend’s name in the post.
- Save Changes: Click ‘Save’ to finalize the edit.
How to Tag Someone in a Facebook Story
Tagging in a Facebook story allows you to share content with specific friends. Here’s how to do it:
- Create a Story: Tap ‘Add to Story’ at the top of your Facebook homepage.
- Add Content: Choose a photo or video from your gallery or capture a new one.
- Add Text: Tap ‘Aa’ to add text and then type ‘@’ followed by your friend’s name.
- Select Your Friend: Choose the correct friend from the drop-down list.
- Post Your Story: Tap ‘Next’ and then ‘Share to Story.’
Adjusting Facebook Tagging Settings
To control who can tag you and how these tags appear on your timeline, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings: Click on the drop-down arrow in the top right corner of your Facebook homepage and select ‘Settings & Privacy’, then ‘Settings.’
- Select Timeline and Tagging: On the left sidebar, select ‘Timeline and Tagging.’
- Adjust Your Settings: Here, you can control who can post on your timeline, who can see posts you’re tagged in, and whether you want to review tags before they appear on your timeline.
When You Tag Someone on Facebook, Who Sees It?
When you tag someone on Facebook, who sees the tag depends on the privacy setting of the post and the tagged person’s settings.
If the post is set to ‘Public,’ anyone on Facebook can see it. If it’s set to ‘Friends,’ only your mutual friends can see the post. Also, if the person you’ve tagged has chosen to review tags, the post won’t appear on their timeline until they approve it.
Understanding how to use Facebook’s tagging feature can enrich your social media interactions and engagements.
Whether you’re sharing memories with friends or promoting a business post, tagging is a valuable tool that brings a more personal touch to your Facebook experience.