Minecraft is the single best selling video game of all time in the complete history of gaming. Minecraft, a sandbox video game, released by Mojang in 2011 was purchased by Microsoft in 2014. It has over 112 million monthly active players. Facts aside, many Minecraft players have reported having encountered the error io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: no further information while trying to connect to the Minecraft server.
This error is not specific to any particular server but seen across all servers. Seeing this weird message on your screen can be pretty frustrating. But worry not! We have described some ways to fix io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection Refused: No Further Information error.
Why the Connection Refused Error Occurs?
Before setting out to solve a problem, it is essential that you understand the problem clearly. Understanding the problem well will enable you to customize the fixes detailed in this post to suit your computer. Also, you can come up with new and more natural ways to fix the errors. So please go through this section before you attempt to solve the error.
1. Incompatible Software: There is a bunch of Software that does not go with Minecraft. We call this incompatible Software. If you have installed any of this Software on the machine on which you are trying to play Minecraft, then you may face problems in connecting to the server. Minecraft has an official list of Software that is incompatible with it.
2. IP Address issue: A wrong IP address or port address can cause this problem. An IP address, along with the correct port, is used to forward your connection request to the server. The connection established once with the server approves this. The IP address assigned to you by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) keeps on changing from time to time. Unless you are using a static IP address (which is rare), the same address may be assigned to some other users. Therefore, the IP address needs to be updated frequently.
3. Firewall: It is possible that the windows firewall may be blocking the gaming files. To overcome this issue, you just need to add these game files to the exclusion list of windows firewall
4. Outdated Java: Minecraft uses Java in the background. So outdated Java in the machine can cause problems. If your game launcher is updated t the latest version and Java are not updated then there are chances of a conflict. This prevents some elements from working properly and disrupts connection to the server.
How to Fix io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection Refused: No Further Information
Solution 1: Reset Internet
When you restart the internet router, your IP address also changes. This is if you are not using a static IP address. So, in this method of fixing the error, we are resetting the router to reinitialize the internet settings and DNS cache. Follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Turn off the internet router and disconnect power.
Step 2: Wait for a few minutes. Then reconnect the power
Step 3: Switch on the router and internet access will be granted. Now to try to connect to the Minecraft server to see if the io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection Refused: No Further Information issue persists.
Solution 2 – Add the IP Address and Port
As explained in solution 1, if your IP address is not static, it changes from time to time. In this method to resolve the error, we are going to add the IP address and the correct port for the game to the Minecraft Launcher. The Steps to do so are given below:
Step 1: Search for command prompt by typing ‘cmd‘ on the search bar.
Step 2: When in the cmd icon appears, right-click on it to select ‘Run as Administrator’.
Step 3: Type command ‘ipconfig‘ and press enter. You will find a lot of data. Find and note down the IPV4 Address.
Step 4: Now navigate to Minecraft Servers folder → Maxwell → MinecraftServer and open the text document called ‘Server Properties‘.
Step 5: Note down the Server Port listed in the text document. It was ‘25565‘ in our case. It may be different in your case.
Step 6: After that, open Minecraft and navigate to the ‘Play Multiplayer’ option.
Step 7: Click on the server you want to join. And select ‘Edit’ from the option given beneath.
Step 8: The server can be anything you wish, but verify that the IPV4 Address and port number are the same as we noted before. The port number was ‘25565‘ in our case (it may vary).
Step 9: Click on ‘Done‘ then ‘Refresh‘ and check if the io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection Refused: No Further Information error is resolved.
Solution 3 – Add Exception in Firewall
Sometimes, we observe the windows firewall is blocking the connection to the server. So, if we add an exception to the executable files in Minecraft that need internet access, we can solve this error. Follow the steps given below to exclude the Minecraft files from the firewall.
Step 1: Go to the start menu and click on Settings
Step 2: In Settings, find Update and Security and click on it.
Step 3: In the left panel, you can see Windows Security. Click on it.
Step 3: In Windows Security, select Firewall & Network protection.
Step 4: A new window opens up. Scroll down in it and click on ‘Allow an app through firewall’.
Step 5: Click on Change settings on the Allowed apps window.
Step 6: Click on the button ‘Allow another app’, then click on browse.
Step 7: Now navigate to the game installation directory and select the game and executable files.
Step 8: Repeat the above process again. Now, navigate to the directory where Minecraft servers are installed.
Step 9: Open ‘Maxwell’ folder and go to the ‘MinecraftServer’ folder.
Step 10: Allow the Java executables in this folder through the firewall, as explained above.
Step 11: Now repeat the process again. Instead of clicking on ‘Allow another app’, after selecting the ‘change settings’, scroll down the app list to find all the ‘Java Platform SE Binary’ and allow those files through both Private and Public networks.
Step 12: Now open Minecraft and see if the io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection Refused: No Further Information problem still persists.
- Windows 10 Start Button Not Working
- Netflix Error M7703-1003 Windows or Mac
- There Was A Problem Resetting your PC
- Update Error 0x80070020
Hopefully, we were able to help you in solving the io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection Refused: No Further Information error. If you are able to find the problem causing the error, then there is a better chance that you can solve it by yourself. These methods are easy and address the most common causes of errors. So, Happy gaming!